Ragus Sugars Manufacturing Ltd
Ragus Sugars is a supplier of bespoke sugars and syrups to the food, baking, pharmaceutical and brewing industries. When it relocated its factory to a new greenfield site development in Slough, Musk Process Services was tasked with the design, off-site manufacture, installation and commissioning of its specialist machinery.
Musk were engaged on a design-and-build basis for the complete fit-out; the building structure had been designed by others and the build was a white wall hygienic shell.
We completed the full design of the new factory (process, 3D layouts and routing and hardware designs) as well as pre-manufacture of off vessels and platforming, in readiness for access to the building, following the practical completion of the construction phase. The new bespoke equipment had to produce the full range of the ‘Ragus’ century old recipes that the company’s founder, Charles Eastick, formulated back in the late 1800’s, so both companies working together on the new designs of equipment was crucial to the success of this Project.
Once the building was complete, Musk took over the role of Principal Contractor and responsibility for the site construction and also commenced the building fit-out. As the site accommodation arrived, so did an army of 50 engineers and a fleet of 40ft lorries carrying all of the prefabricated equipment. Managed by a full-time Musk site team consisting of Construction (Design and Management) (CDM) and Health & Safety Manager and construction managers, the team of mechanical and electrical engineers and designers, transformed the building shell into a state-of-the-art production facility over a 16 week period.
After working a continuous 7-day pattern for the full 16 weeks, the first product left the new Ragus factory destined for its customers marking a new milestone in the Ragus story.
Musk were responsible for:
- Turnkey service of a new green field site
- The scope included design, manufacture, & installation of:
- 11 x 25,000l horizontal storage vessels
- 5 x 20,000l sugar dissolving vessels
- 2 x 4,000l sugar dissolving vessels
- 2 x 50,000l vertical storage vessels
- Stainless steel platforms and mezzanine levels
- Automated control system using Siemens S7 hardware
- Relocation and integration of existing equipment
- Services from source (steam, water, hot water generation and compressed air)
- Electrical services fit-out (lighting and power)
- CDM management (Principal Contractor)