Weekly Hours: 37.5
We’re looking for a dynamic individual with an appetite for progression to join us at our Parker offices in Burton-Upon-Trent as SHEQ Advisor.
Parker Technical Services is a leading force in mechanical and electrical engineering, supporting many blue-chip clients across several sectors. We are a growing organisation, comprised of brilliant people providing outstanding service and are always looking for new faces to join our high-calibre team.
The base location for this role is Parker House Burton Upon Trent with a geographical coverage of all EJ Parker Business Units. Travel will be required to all parts of the UK as the business requires.
The role holder will assist in the development and delivery of an effective Business Management Compliance programme, as directed by the SHEQ & Compliance Manager, to meet statutory requirements and industry best practice throughout the businesses operations and services.
You will be responsible for the provision of professional support to areas of the business and be required to proactively assist, develop and embed all aspects of the Business Management System including audits by third party organisations.
You will advise sites on SHEQ matters in line with instruction from line management and support the SHEQ and Compliance Manager to achieve Board businesses strategies, targets and timescales.
Duties & Essential Job Functions
- Follow the strategies and plans to ensure that each business unit can achieve compliance with the system and where possible move them toward best practice.
- Work with each of the business units, keep managers updated as to new processes and procedures such that they reflect the needs of the business and deliver effective, pragmatic, robust and progressive business management.
- Submit site reports and audits in a timely manner showing performance against Key Performance Indicators set by the business.
- Immediately inform the SHEQ & Compliance Manager of any matter which might bring the business into disrepute.
- Assist managers in achieving compliance with legislative and procedural expectations of all Enforcing Authorities. Provide the appropriate level of assistance to ensure that they also meet their legal and Business Management System obligations.
- Establish effective relationships and work closely and co-operatively with operational managers.
- Have a thorough detailed working knowledge of current legislation and advice, thereby assisting the business in achieving compliance with all its statutory obligations
- Support the SHEQ and Compliance Manager with the ongoing compliance with all current ISO’s and other accreditations
- Represent the Business on functional and cross divisional SHEQ working groups, as directed by the SHEQ & Compliance Manager
- Develop and maintain a good working relationship with representatives of the Enforcement Authorities and present a professional image of the business to both internal stakeholders and external client bodies.
- Give input to procedural amendments as required due to new practices, or changes in legislation or advice to ensure the business is complying with its statutory obligations.
- Assist in driving a positive high profile SHEQ culture within the business sectors in order to raise awareness of SHEQ issues. Assist in driving a culture which is intolerant of unsafe acts and strives for outstanding SHEQ performance.
- Assist in Occupational Health matters relating to the physical and mental health of staff with the appropriate level of OH intervention, to ensure the correct advice and direction is given to the workforce at all levels and that a consistent response is provided by our supporting professionals.
- Complete site audits and inspections in line with the audit schedule set by the SHEQ & Compliance Manager
- Complete system audits and assist in second and third party audits as scheduled by the SHEQ & Compliance Manager.
- Complete one to two days within the office environment to assist in administration duties.
Skills and Experience
- Good knowledge of, and ability to advise upon, SHEQ matters, risk management and legislation, with substantial demonstrable experience of personal involvement in a similar role
- Must have a good command of English and be able to communicate effectively in both verbal and written word.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, codes of practice, guidance and operating procedures.
- Ability to keep abreast of trends and related best practice
- Good interpersonal skills in order to establish credibility with colleagues and management and to foster effective working relations with a wide range of internal, client and external interested parties
- Sound influencing and persuading skills with the ability to adopt different approaches and styles of influencing depending on the level of staff being approached
- An effective communicator with the ability to deliver the SHEQ message in a clear and appropriate manner
- Good knowledge and skills in relation to ISO:9001, ISO:14001 & ISO:45001. Also knowledge of Achilles systems and RISQS systems would be advantageous
- Should hold a relevant blend of qualification/experience. NEBOSH Construction Certificate as a minimum
- The post holder must have at least strong health, safety and environmental experience in a similar role within a diverse organisation and have a proven track record of success.
- Hold or work towards – Quality Management/Assurance, Business Continuity and Data security qualifications and memberships.